“Free Methodist History & Polity” offers a deep dive into the origins, evolution, and guiding principles of the Free Methodist Church. In this course, you’ll traverse the transformative period of Enlightenment and Methodism’s birth, charting its progression from the Protestant Reformation to the Scientific Revolution and the Age of Discovery. You’ll follow the church’s dynamic story from 1890 to the present day, witnessing its growth, adaptation to cultural challenges, and unwavering commitment to mission.
Each lesson reveals facets of the Free Methodist Church’s history and polity, providing a foundational understanding to inform your leadership and enrich your ministry. Along the way, you’ll gain insights into the core document that governs the practices of the church – The Book of Discipline – and how it’s continuously adapted to uphold the church’s integrity and mission.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Understand the historical and philosophical foundations of the Free Methodist Church from the Enlightenment to the present day.
- Recognize the role of key historical events, such as the Protestant Reformation, in shaping the church.
- Identify the church’s responses to cultural challenges and institutional demands.
- Familiarize yourself with the guiding principles and regulations of the Book of Discipline.
- Apply the lessons from the church’s history to your current ministry context.
- Reflect on the Free Methodist Church’s commitment to its mission amidst changing times.